Monday, February 9, 2009

Adventures in Driving

Sooooooo I'm on my way to help a friend with a presentation. I'm more than half way to her house when I realize I've left my presentation folder at my parents' house, without which I can't help with the presentation. Road is empty from both directions so I decide to hurry and flip a uey. I can see the gravel on the other side which makes me think that the jogging path is just under the snow meaning it would be level enough for me to not make a three quarter turn but instead follow through with the full turn. Not so much. No sooner have I thought this thought than I feel my right front tire sink. There isn't so much a jogging path in that particular place but a ditch. Yes a ditch. My car's not moving. My front right tire continues to spin but my car ain't movin. Within seconds a really sweet girl stops to see if she can help me but there's no way the two of us are getting my car unstuck. My friend Eric happens upon me on his way to a lab but with no tow cable there's not much he can do but wish me luck. I find a phone book in my car and call a towing company who quotes me $60-$65 to come unstuck me. Not too happy with that quote. I call another towing company who quickly tells me he's dispatching a truck to come and unstuck me and only after making his quick little call does he give me the quote I was calling for which is a measly $70. HA! Off the phone with the tow guy who's driver is now on his way to unstuck me within seconds only to turn around and have me pay him $70 for his trouble. I call the insurance company only to be told that I only have coverage for liability and not road side assistance. *sigh* Between phone calls I have another two cars stop to see if I need help. I tell both sweet gentlemen drivers that I have a tow truck on its way only to have the second of said gentlemen say, "really? Cause I have a towing rope with me." "Really?! That would save my 70 bucks!" So Matt Cox, willing to be late for class, then hooks our cars together and in less than a minute from the time he started pulling me out.... my car is unstuck. When I get out to say thank you the tow truck is, of course, coming up the road. I quickly run to the driver's side window and profusely apologize for his having made his way out only to find that I'd be helped out of the ditch. I asked if there was a service charge I needed to pay. Normally $30 for making the trip but he said he would simply tell his boss that I was already unstuck and gone by the time he got there. Very gracious of him but I could tell he was less than happy about the situation. Maybe today just hadn't been the best day. I made sure to tell him thank you multiple times before getting back into my car.
Something significant about my rescuer today is the fact that he had passed me once already. He only passed because he didn't have his tow rope. But instead of saying, "oh well, I'm sure someone else will help her" and continuing on to class he went back to his apartment, got the tow rope, and came back on the off chance that I was still stuck. We're really in no position to pay $70 for a moment of poor judgement on my part. This young man was truly a blessing today and I hoped I expressed to him how grateful I was for his help. He didn't have to get the rope and come back. What if I was unstuck and gone by the time he came back? He was obviously willing to chance it.
There are good people all around us. People that know and love God and understand the sacrifice that sacrifice that was made on our behalf. There are those that have a true understanding of God's love. Through this simple act of service I caught a glimpse of the kind of relationship that this young man has with the Lord. And I want to continue to make sure that I have that same kind of relationship with Him.


There are chances for work all around just now,
opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

Have I done any good in the world today?

6 comments:

Heidi said...

what a sweet guy!! That made me tear up a bit. I miss good old Idaho. It is harder to find those kind of people here in Denver, but I am sure they are here. I suppose they best way to find them is by being one myself. Thank you for that inspiring story Charisa.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

people like that just make your day don't they...

ricksrexburg said...

I'm so glad that the guy was so kind. What a good reminder that we can be the answer to someones prayers! Glad you are safe..

Nancy said...

Funny how often you recognize the little thought in your head to turn around, but then think not to trouble yourself or others with your service...have I done any good?

Sara said...

great story!

Bree said...

Thanks for sharing this!! I hate getting in situations like that, but isn't it so great that there are those wonderful people who are willing to sacrifice their time to help!! Glad it ended up that way!!