Thursday, December 11th was like any other day with the usual running around doing errands, buying groceries etc. I was home with Ethan and it was his nap time which he was fighting so I turned on a cartoon and snuggled up in the recliner with him until he fell asleep. After a while I got up to put him in his crib and just as I laid him down my water broke. Now... during the last few weeks I had wondered whether or not I would really be able to tell if my water broke.... well let me tell you..... there was no denying the fact. My pants and my left sock were soaked and there was a small puddle around my left. With my toddler sleeping peacefully and the unquestionable reality literally at my feet I stood for some minutes repeating aloud, "oh dear." Here my wonderful, hard working, and incredibly focused husband had but one day left of finals and my water goes and breaks. If anyone ever questions that the Lord has a sense of humor let me tell you now that he does.
I call Trent and begin by saying, "Honey.... I am so so so so so so so so sooooo sorry." He's thinking maybe I wrecked the car or blew up the computer. "Why?" he asks casually. "My water just broke." "Oh."
I then call the Dr's office and head over moments after Trent came home from the library. Still only dilate to a 2 but Strep B positive and needing to have the antibiotic administered at least 4 hours before delivery he sends me home to pack and head up to the hospital.
This was taken by my mom just before we left for the hospital. We feel so blessed and beyond grateful to/for my parents for all that they have done for us since we've been married and especially since Ethan was born. They were so willing and happy to watch Ethan for us so that Trent could stay at with me at the hospital. Thanks Mom and Dad!
I was checked in by about 4:30 p.m. and as we were getting settled in our room Trent said, "I remember this feeling."
"What feeling?"
"Helplessness...."
The nurse got me hooked up to my substitute antibiotic and we waited. After a few hours I wasn't dilating much so my doctor had them start me on pitosin to help speed things along and I have to say that I was really enjoying my labor. I loved focusing on my breathing through each contraction knowing that each contraction was bringing me that much closer.
It was a Thursday night so naturally we took the time to watch The Office. Hooray for laughs amidst labor pains.
As it got later I was progressing steadily but slowly and although the contractions weren't at their worst I was unable to sleep through them so I asked for an iv pain med to help take the edge off. It was the strangest sensation to be asleep but still aware of the contractions. Every time I felt one it was like, "oh yeah... I'm in labor."
The relief with that particular drug typically lasts an hour and a half but after an hour the contractions were intense enough that there wasn't much relief. I'm not quite sure how many of those contractions I endured but they were intense enough that I thought I may not be able to handle the pain of pushing. And given the experience that I had with my first child I decided I would much rather enjoy the delivery process as opposed to try and prove something to myself along with the hopes of having my husband think I was one of those amazing wives who endured natural child birth.
With that realization I told Trent and the nurse that I was ready for an epidural.
For those that have experienced the beauty of a complication free epidural you can relate to the feeling of total physical relaxation working its magic after hours of consistent and after a point non-stop pain all the while knowing that your body will follow through with what it has put in motion. The sleep that follows the epidural is wonderful for two reasons- one of course being that I'm now able to sleep and two being that Trent is also able to sleep knowing that I'm no longer in pain.
I wish I could tell you that I remember what time it was that I received the epidural and I wish I could tell you how long it was before I started pushing. What I can tell you is that when the nurse came in, checked me, called the doctor, came back in and said I could start pushing I was totally ready. I had so much energy and I was so excited at the thought of finally bringing our baby girl into the world. Pushing Kiari compared to pushing Ethan was night and day. With Ethan I was exhausted. I pushed for 2 hours and was literally falling asleep in between pushes. When he was finally here I was so tired it was difficult to really enjoy the moment. I only pushed 45 minutes with Kiari. When she was about to make her grand entrance Trent said to Dr. Meredith, "don't drop her." To which Dr. Meredith replied, "why don't you come do it then." "Seriously?" So Trent gloved up and caught our baby girl as she made her entrance in this world. There was a quick hand off that followed but I love that Trent caught her. I also love that I was so totally coherent as the doctor laid her on my tummy, it was such a beautiful moment to have her finally there in front of me.
Shortly after Kiari was cleaned, checked, and bathed they moved us over to the post pardum room. By the time we were finally able to lay down to get some rest it was nearly 6 a.m. I remember laying down on my side and it feeling so wonderful, so comfortable..... then 2 hours later I received a very rude awakening. No one warned me about the cramps that would follow the delivery of baby #2 and I was debating which was worse, my worst contractions or the unbelievable cramps. I'm still undecided.
We were very much excited to be discharged Saturday, take our little girl home, and be home with Ethan.
The Wednesday after we had Kiari Trent interviewed with the INL for a possible internship. When this particular ball first started rolling shortly after Thanksgiving we had talked about possibly moving down to Idaho Falls for the semester while he worked. So after all of these interviews and with the internship looking like a done deal we packed up all our essentials (thanks Mom and Dad for letting us leave so much at the apartment) and were moved into Trent's parents' house by Friday. Phew!
And then.... the holidays.

3 comments:
Thanks for giving me the address :). She is darling! In one of them (up close, just the face shot third one (I think)in the series of pics, still not sure if you know which one I mean, but oh well) she kind of looks like Sister Liao's baby :) I love her dark hair! Congrats :D
thanks for sharing the story...I love reading those! So your water broke too...they say it's not common yet all the stories I've read so far, the water has broke
Thanks for the synopsis! I totally agree with you--epidurals are AMAZING, second deliveries are MUCH better than firsts, AND those awful post-delivery cramps are horrible the second time around! She is just darling--soooo much hair!! Hope you are doing well!
Post a Comment