Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Night to Remember

These items....
....were on this shelf.
These sweet faced children....
.....were jumping on the top of this couch.
Kiari wanted help to jump and Ethan took her hand, jumping before she was ready, Kiari just happened to be holding onto the cord of this speaker... which ran along the top of the shelf and down the side. Both children came down as did all of the items, the largest of which (this speaker) landed on Ethan's head.









2 staples later.


Immediately after everything fell both of the kids were, of course, crying. Trent went to Kiari and I picked up Ethan who was crying pretty hard. I asked him where it hurt and as he said, "my head" he turned his head and that's when I saw the blood. Instead of freaking out I simply showed Trent who said, "let's take him up (to the hospital)." I told Trent to run Kiari over to my parents' house and as he did I quickly climbed into the front seat of the car with Ethan in my lap, a washcloth on the cut. By the time we got to the hospital he was pretty well calmed down. We didn't have to wait long and thankfully instead of shots to numb the area they were able to put some type of gel on it to numb it up. Anytime the nurse or doctor came in he either had questions to ask or randomness to tell.
During the few minutes that we had waited in the ER lobby I explained to Ethan what stitches were and told him that the doctor may have to sew up his owie. When we found out the doctor was going to do staples instead we had to change up the explanation a bit. He cried just a little little bit when the doctor put the staples in, he was seriously so tough and brave about the whole thing, we're really proud of him.
When we got home we had to retrieve Kiari from my parents' house and Ethan was so excited to show them his cool, bright green dinosaur bandage.
I'm so grateful that it wasn't worse than it was because I'm sure it could have been.
I'm grateful that Trent has taught me the importance of not freaking out in situations like this because it would only stress the kids out more.
Grateful that my parents were able to help with Kiari.
Grateful to live so close to the hospital.
Grateful for the portion of our tax return that's available to pay for the evening's trip to the ER since we don't currently have insurance for Ethan.
So very grateful for so very many things.

4 comments:

Kersten said...

Wow, that is so scary. I know I would have freaked.

Tina Braegger said...

Wow, I am glad he is ok. That would have really freaked me out. That is good that you handled it so well.

Sara said...

so glad he was a tough trooper and that everything turned out okay! and good job charisa for keeping your cool:) i had a lot of catching up to do on your blog, looks like you've had a fun summer!

Elle said...

holy cow! i'm glad he was such a good sport about it! i still can't figure out how they got those things down! they must be good jumpers!