Throughout the week I kept trying to decide what I'd like to do for my birthday. Initially I was thinking I'd love to have Trent take me out to dinner on Saturday but as Saturday got closer I was thinking that I'd like to have the kids with me to celebrate too.
Saturday morning I had a training meeting to attend (which was awesome!) so Trent stayed home with Ethan and Kiari and I took Enoch with me. Once home we spent the afternoon just hanging out. A friend of mine was having a birthday party for her husband whose birthday had been on the 5th. We haven't seen these friends since we first moved into our house so I wanted to make sure we stopped by. I made up some brownies to take with and the kids and I took a short walk while they cooled. We had a good time at the party, there were even a handful of kids for Ethan and Kiari to run around with. We left just after 8 and made our way to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream.
As we loaded up to head home Trent set up the GPS. I told him that I knew exactly how to get us home and that the GPS was taking us the wrong way but he wanted to follow it instead and I quietly waited for my soon to come "I told you so" moment. As I watched the GPS getting us closer to our "destination" I looked up and saw a Blockbuster video store. I turned and looked at Trent who had a smirky smile on his face then he said, "this isn't home! weird." as he pulls into the parking lot, "I better go in and ask for directions." he reaches for my wallet. Me: "my card's in my pocket." Him: "which pocket." but you have to imagine this exchange taking place with Trent having this particular smile on his face that he gets when he thinks he being particularly cute and clever. I relented and handed over the debit card.
I knew he was inside picking out a game and then I looked up and saw a poster for the newest Harry Potter movie so I dashed in hoping he hadn't checked out yet. He was there at the counter. I said, "are you done yet?" almost, why? "I want Harry Potter!" and he simply tapped the dvd on the counter. I just smiled and slipped back out to the car.
Kiari was asleep before we even left Blockbuster. Enoch was out shortly after we got home and Ethan stayed up and watched part of the movie with us. But for 3/4 of the movie it was almost like we were on an actual date!! It had been a really great day.
On the way home Saturday Trent had asked if I'd like him to make dinner for my birthday/Mother's Day but I already had in my head what I was wanting for dinner so I told him, "no, I want the crock pot to make it." So Sunday morning I threw everything in the crock pot, pulled out the rolls to rise, and got to work on my Singing Time lesson.
The Primary kids did a great job singing in Sacrament Meeting and we had a great time during singing time.
When we got home the roast in the crock pot smelled heavenly and the rolls had risen perfectly. Dinner was delish.
My visiting teaching companion came by with a little Mother's Day treat for me and then I slipped out with her to deliver some to the sisters that we visit. When I got home I was really wanting to make a carrot cake but I was so full up on dinner that I decided it would be a better idea to not.
It was fun to call all my mom and mother in laws throughout the day to wish them a happy Mother's Day and have the chance to visit with each of them for a bit.
A great conference call with Trent's family.
The kids in bed at a decent time.
The best part of the day was not feeling the need to clean up every little mess or area of disarray when I happened upon it. On a normal day I would have felt guilty walking by it but yesterday was different. And it was beautiful.
Just before bedtime however, I was happy to put my kitchen back together.
Some of the day's perfect little moments were:
coming back from delivering visiting teaching goodies, hearing Kiari downstairs say, "mommy's home!" then come of the stairs, see me, give a little giggle, and come running over to give me a hug.
listening to Trent and Ethan play together downstairs while I finished in the kitchen.
the sweet way that Trent wished me a Happy Mother's Day and then Happy Birthday.
Enoch's big beautiful eyes after church, happy to see me after having gotten to be with daddy throughout the day's meetings.
the absolutely beautiful weather outside.
spending those extra minutes putting my kids to bed, holding, rocking, and even just watching them sleep. Melting inside with gratitude towards my Heavenly Father for blessing me with the opportunity to be a Mother.
29 and a mother for going on 5 years.
It was a simple and beautifully laid back day.

1 comment:
What a darling family!! Your kiddos are getting so grown up! Happy (belated) B-day and Mother's day to you! Hope things are going well.
P.S. We call our little girl Kiki for short too--love it!
Post a Comment