Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday Fun

A friend from college and I have been wanting to get together this summer to do a race together and last weekend it finally came together. It was a 5k/5k stroller roll with a kids fun run afterwards. Initially I was thinking I'd take Enoch and borrow a jogging stroller (like an idiot I sold mine as we were getting ready to move), then I thought Kiari would have fun so I was going to push Enoch and Kiari in our double walking stroller. Then Ethan said he'd like to run the race with me. I can fit all three of the kids in the double walker so I thought, why not. Come Saturday morning I told Ethan, "if you want to go with me you need to wake up right now." He practically jumped out of bed. Kiari on the other hand, barely moved the two or three times I tried to wake her up. So I took loaded up my boys and we were off.
I know that a 5k isn't much of a race but the atmosphere of the event was fun and there were some fun things for Ethan to do. He was pretty excited about the bounce house that was set up and he also got to make some fun sand art for him and Kiari.
My friend Brenna and I had a good time on the stroller roll, they had a pretty little course mapped out for us. Ethan even got out and ran part of my route with me. When it came time for the kids run Ethan was ready to go. And as soon as they said, "on your mark. get set. Go!!!" he took off fast!! I know it's a kids "fun" run but I think they could have at least made it so the kids could run a point A to point B type course. Instead it was a, run down to this point, turn around and go back. And then as each kid crossed the finish line they were each handed a blue ribbon. "Every kid gets a trophy."
Anyhoo....
as much as I would have loved to have Kiari with us, it was nice to have that time with Ethan, we really had a great time that morning.

Back at home, showered, and ready, we loaded up to catch the tail end of a farmer's market not far from home. Then we had lunch and let the kids play in the water a bit. By the time we got home everyone was pretty tired. Needless to say the kids crashed pretty hard and pretty early that night. It was a great day.




















No comments: