Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Riddles and I and our Falling Out

Riddles and I have never been very good friends. I think a big part of it stems from my lack of confidence in that I've never felt like I was an incredibly clever or exceptionally smart individual. So when I receive a random phone call from my husband like the one just moments ago I am reminded of how much I need to recondition myself to be a better sport.
First he begins by telling me that his boss wanted him to call and give me this riddle, to see if the wife was as quick as the husband I'm sure. No pressure there. He then proceeds with the riddle and finishes by saying something to the effect of, Wayne has given it to multiple people throughout the day and it has taken them a really long time to figure it out so he's pretty proud of me because it only took me about 15 seconds. Again.... no pressure.
At this point I'm actually feeling pretty confident that I'll be able to respond quickly because it doesn't seem all too tricky. I call him back just a minute or two later with my response only to be told I was wrong. I re-vamp and call a second time only to be told I was once again wrong and then asked, "how are you coming up with those number?" Then proceeds my sweet husband's gentle coaching through the riddle which includes my reading it back to him the way I understand it, walking him through the steps that I've been taking, only to once again be told, "you're missing something there," all the while being reminded that there are no tricks to this riddle, stick to the numbers and you'll get it.
By this point I'm already feeling stupid because I've failed the employers expectations and I'm ready to simply be told the answer. If any of you know my husband you know that he's not one to simply let me give up and be told, he would much rather encourage and help me discover the answer on my own. It's actually quite good for me but nevertheless I tend to want to give in the higher power (my husband) and simply let the games be done. He wasn't going to let me do that.
"Here what I want you to do, I want you to draw a circle."
(exasperated sigh)
"What's wrong?"
"I already feel really dumb."
"Sweetheart, Wayne has told multiple people this today and it has taken them forever!"
"K, I'm drawing a circle."

A helpful walk through and 90 seconds later I realize what it was I was missing/skipping over and my answer is correct. Thanks to a helpful and encouraging husband who refuses to let me give up on myself even when it involves something and minute as a riddle. It's a comfort to know that if he's not willing to let me give up on myself with the little things there's no chance in hades he'll let me give up on things when it really counts. Sure do love that man.

You're all wanting to know what the riddle is, huh?

There's a bus. On the bus are 7 girls. Each girl has 7 backpacks. Each back has 7 cats and each cat has 7 kittens. There is no driver. How many legs are on the bus?

Enjoy.

10 comments:

stevie kay said...

Well, the bus technically doesn't have legs . . . it's a bus. But on the bus there should be 10,990 legs of both the human and feline persuasion. Is that right?
~Nick and Stevie Croft

Rachel said...

14!?!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

I would feel the pressure just like you! Mike's family is so good at riddles. Here are my answers: 10,976 or 3,430.

Maryanne

Charisa and Trent said...

all i will say at this point is that one of is correct.

Sara said...

my head hurts

Cecily said...

Is it 14 legs on the bus since all the cats are in the backpacks?

Cecily said...

Did you mean to say that nobody is correct or that one person is correct?

Charisa and Trent said...

stevie kay, although i'm not sure i know who you are, IS CORRECT!! if i had a plate of virtual brownies i would give it to you.

stevie kay said...

Yay for getting it right! Nick and Trent were friends back in the day and we were all in the singles branch together.

Amber said...

Hey! Yeah I know registering at Target! It's been a while. I can't believe I've already been married for six months! Anyway, yes we totally need to get together. I'm just working and hanging out. OH and also getting ready to move! Anyway, great to hear from ya! Love ya